Belle Reve


by Vanessa K. Eccles 

In the beauty of spring, I dance in the meadows and wonder:
Why would the smell of red immolate in a rose?
What does the tulip hold in its pedaled cup?

Who does the bird sing its song to?
Why does the wind brush my cheek like a gentle kiss?
How does the sun infiltrate energy in its glisten?
I feel that I am a part of heaven, am I?

What flower will the bumble land on next?
Who paints the collage of colors on the butterfly’s wings?
Why does the world seem to come alive?
How does earth give her smile to us?
I take a breath and smell rain, could it be?
In the midst of a perfect day, could it be about to end?

Can the rain wash away every vice in a fallen world?
Will it bring more renewal and harmony?
There’s no shelter to be found, where will I go?

The intoxicating smell causes me to wait.
Are rain drops tears from angry clouds?
Or are they there to sprinkle and quench our thirst?
Is it possible to experience peace in a storm?
I close my eyes and allow the rain to soak my soul.

Who stole the mockingbird’s song?
Will they ever give it back?
I wonder, staring out my window.

The mockingbird sings a tune,
Who did he borrow it from?
I feel sadness coming again, as the rain clouds come into sight.
I sigh and close my eyes,
To hopefully travel back to a borrowed belle reve.


Bio: Vanessa K. Eccles is the executive editor of Belle Reve. She was born and raised in Dothan, Alabama. She has an English degree from Troy University, and she is currently working on a YA novel.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.

 

Donate

Passionately Ran, Compassionately Fed.

About

Belle Rêve Literary Journal is a southern literary experience. Our mission is to capture everything that makes the South and its residents unique through the best contemporary literature we can find. We publish new works weekly.