Osprey Sunset





Photo and Poem by Tom Hooten

Placid he perches drying a wing
wet from feeding his Osprey offspring.
I, in excitement, check my focus,
my framing of nature; to him, hocus pocus.

But then to my own disbelief
as his image attains sharp relief,
my stolid Sea Hawk, Pandion Haliaetus,
has his back to Sol’s glorious hiatus!

He sees a world I cannot share,
ultraviolet, magnetic maps in the air.
My vision of beauty in overload
is, to him, Mona Lisa’s winding road.

As I stare in rapture
this beauty to capture,
what I finally see
is him watching me.

 
TOM HOOTEN received his Master’s Degree in Physiological Psychology from Auburn University, was a pilot in the U.S. Air Force (retired), and had a second career as a Human Resources Director. He has published two scientific research papers (co-authored), a science fiction novel, Hollytime, an essay, "The Physics of Fidget Energy," and several poems. He is in sunny Florida working on Alicetime, the sequel to Hollytime.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.

 

Donate

Passionately Ran, Compassionately Fed.

About

Belle Rêve Literary Journal is a southern literary experience. Our mission is to capture everything that makes the South and its residents unique through the best contemporary literature we can find. We publish new works weekly.